Re: Ti PB -- nervous breakdown

Hello Benjamin!

Nice to read from you :-)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt schrieb:

> >The First two days I need to discover that yaboot 1.1.1 does not work
> >with the TiPB and to find a typo in my bootscript. So I copied the
> >yaboot from the LinuxPPC 2000 Q4-CD.
>
> Can you tell me what happend with yaboot 1.1.1 ? It should work.

O.K. I just verified it yesterday. And my TiPB does not boot with yaboot 1.1.1!
If I boot into yaboot I use a bootscript. On my Pismo I get a white
screen than the grey screen and than comes yaboots selection-screen.
Using the same yaboot on the TiPB I get the white screen than the grey
screen and than nothing. If I jump into OF and type "boot
hd,10:\\yaboot" I get a grey screen telling me "Loading ELF" and after
some seconds jumping back to OF-prompt with two lines of "ff ff ff
000000 [....]" or some such (If this is important I will test it this
afternoon and write it down)

> >Everything went smooth but my ethernet was very slow!! My Pismo told me
> >it is running full_duplex at 100MBit/s but the TiPB told me it is
> >running half_duplex at 10MBit/s only. So to copy files from one
> >PowerBook to another was no fun.
> >But both PowerBooks run the same kernel with the same modules.
>
> The Ethernet PHY is, I guess, different and not yet properly supported. Can
> you tell me what the ethernet driver says during boot about the type of PHY ?

Have to look for it in the afternoon. But look at my other mails I told
Timothy that this is not just a wrong reported connection speed, I need
20-30 minutes to copy the 2.4.2-kernel-source form the Pismo to the TiPB
both running linux.

> >After that I tried to run mol with netatalk-1.5. Mol starts but only
> >displays video when I boot with video=aty128, if I boot with
> >video=ofonly mol can not cope with this video-mode.
> >But it is getting worser, after sometime I got kernel PANICs
> >"segmentation violation!"
>
> You get that with MOL exlicitely or also in normal usage ? If it happens
> again,
> can you send me the panic infos along with the System.map from that kernel ?

I will try to reproduce it, but at the moment I´m thinking this is a
problem of mol and MacOS 9.1, haven´t had any PANICS in the last two
days. I concentrat on getting linux and X in wide-screen mode, than I
look at mol.

> >Switched off every daemon I could find like autofs, nfs, etc. Do not
> >know if this helps.
> >
> >And another problem: I can not connect within mol to my netatalk-server.
> >When I try to login, I´ve been asked about my login and password, I get
> >the window where I can select the share I want to mount, but after
> >double-clicking on a share I got "File-Server disconneted..." or
> >
> >So after three days, it looks like this
> >1. Ethernet has problems to detect the right speed!
> >2. Some mistyries PANICs and crashes with a kernel that runs smooth on a
> pismo
>
> I see no reason for those PANICs and crashes since that machine is basically a
> Pismo with a wider screen, a G4, and a different ethernet PHY. The
> ethernet problem
> is probably normal. The others are definitely not.

That what I expected, I thought "Hey it is just a Pismo with a G4 and a
wider display, lets put linux on it..." and the trouble began :-(

I had heavy mail-traffic with Timothy, I´ve done everything he done and
I don´t get a wide-screen X in 32bit.
I´m running XFree 4.0.99 and the kernel from the titanium directory at
the ftp site, I only get the widescreen with video=ofonly but than I can
not run X and mol. Used the XF86Config from the ftp-site.
Every other video option leads to a 1024x768 resolution, even using
fbset -g 1152 768 1152 768 32 does not help, the terminal and X stay at
1024x768. I tried video=aty128fb:1152x768 and got a nice visual effect,
looks like the display is loosing all its colour. Do not know if this
could damage the display.

> >And some application problems:
> >1. Can not connect to netatalk 1.5 with mol
> >2. Can not run mol in 1152x768
>
> What mode do you get with aty128fb ? I didn't know the display could adjust
> to different modes, that's interesting, since AFAIK, we don't program the
> flat panel registers to do scaling in aty128fb.
> In any way, using aty128fb will get you better results than offb. I think
> Olad Hering (olh@suse.de) have some patches for the video mode of this
> machine to be supported by aty128fb. The sandard modedb may have it too.

O.K. I will put it as cc to this mail. Just an idea, could it be that
the TiPB in the US and in Europe are a little bit different? This is
only an idea, because of my problems and the "no problems" of Timothy.

Thanks for your Help,
	Christoph

P.S. I´m writing this mail with Netscape in mol running without a
problem on my pismo :-)

--
Dipl. Ing. Christoph Ewering    C & E Informationsdienste GbR
0 52 54 80 68 66 oder 0173 566 266 1