Help Ti PB -- nervous breakdown

Hello!

I now at the third day at trying to get linux running on my new PBG4 as
smooth as on my Pismo.

The First two days I need to discover that yaboot 1.1.1 does not work
with the TiPB and to find a typo in my bootscript. So I copied the
yaboot from the LinuxPPC 2000 Q4-CD.
I tried to boot with a selfcompiled kernel that I use on my Pismo. And
tried to install debian. What I did not know, kernel 2.4.2 has problems
with the loop-device. So installing debian with this kernel was not possible.
Ran in some other problems so I decided to install LinuxPPC Q4.

Cause I have mol running on my pismo, I also run netatalk over ethertap
to share file from both worlds.
After I had LinuxPPC up and running on my TiPB i copied the kernel with
modules from the pismo.
Copied some config-files and the mol-directory (it is a selfcompiled mol-0.9.56)

Everything went smooth but my ethernet was very slow!! My Pismo told me
it is running full_duplex at 100MBit/s but the TiPB told me it is
running half_duplex at 10MBit/s only. So to copy files from one
PowerBook to another was no fun.
But both PowerBooks run the same kernel with the same modules.

After that I tried to run mol with netatalk-1.5. Mol starts but only
displays video when I boot with video=aty128, if I boot with
video=ofonly mol can not cope with this video-mode.
But it is getting worser, after sometime I got kernel PANICs
"segmentation violation!"
Switched off every daemon I could find like autofs, nfs, etc. Do not
know if this helps.

And another problem: I can not connect within mol to my netatalk-server.
When I try to login, I´ve been asked about my login and password, I get
the window where I can select the share I want to mount, but after
double-clicking on a share I got "File-Server disconneted..." or

So after three days, it looks like this
1. Ethernet has problems to detect the right speed!
2. Some mistyries PANICs and crashes with a kernel that runs smooth on a pismo

And some application problems:
1. Can not connect to netatalk 1.5 with mol
2. Can not run mol in 1152x768

Please help me to get linux on my TiPB to work as smooth as on my pismo.

Thanks,
	Christoph

BTW. I can not afford two PowerBooks, the pismo has to be sold as soone

--
Dipl. Ing. Christoph Ewering    C & E Informationsdienste GbR
0 52 54 80 68 66 oder 0173 566 266 1