Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

[...]

What format does netscape use to store mail?  Is it mbox-like, or
something else?

What another person suggested about transferring your mail to an IMAP
server might be a good idea if you can't just transfer the spool
files.

Mike> mutt: didn't look very much, so don't know.

Mutt is excellent if you want a fast text mode client.

Mike> balsa: looks workable, but not for my email load.

I don't think this is mature enough for your needs, personally.

Now, I'm not sure of what kind of configurability you're looking for,
but I'd recommend taking a look at Gnus (http://www.gnus.org/),
especially if you're into Emacs.

I've recently switched from using Mutt to Gnus, mostly because I
started to get frustrated with the mutt config file format and the
lack of a programming language to customize the mailer.

Currently I'm using procmail to do filtering and I'd recommend it, but
if you're feeling adventurous you could try the Gnus mail splitting
features.  Gnus will do filtering for you if you want it to...in fact,
it'll do everything that Mutt will do, and a hell of a lot more:

- filtering
- scoring (very good...)
- renders HTML mail via w3 (an emacs web browser)
- very good threading.
- reads news too (well, it is a news reader, after all)
- pgp/gpg encryption/signing

contrary to someone else's comments, I have to say that Gnus is more
powerful than mutt, and definately more configurable.

if you need any help setting it up, if you decide to give it a shot,
feel free to ask.

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber                                   | huber@debian.org |