Re: help

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 09:51:48AM -0500, Patrice LaFlamme wrote:
> > miboot requires proprietary apple drivers, which are only available
> > with a proprietary macos CD burning software, and macos is of course
> > proprietary.  this is unacceptable to Debian which is made up of only
> > Free Software.
>
> Right, understandable. But on oldworld machines without floppies, you need proprietary

All OldWorld macs were equipped with floppy drives and thus debian's
boot-hfs.img is sufficient.   if you have removed your floppy or its
been damaged beyond repair that is really your problem.

> software in order to install debian. That's not really better, if you
> want to be really finicky :)   (refer to my long threads last summer about
> installing Linux - either LPPC or debian - without a floppy or MacOS. I
> needed both LinuxPPC and its miboot proprietary software and debian and
> it's mac-fdisk to actually achieve anything...)

there is a big difference here, in order for debian make miboot
oldworld bootable CDs debian must PURCHASE proprietary licenced,
non-free software and use that to build all thier CD images, along
with distributing the non-free, proprietary drivers.  this is
not acceptable.   this is not the same thing as you using the existing
copy of MacOS that came with your box to run bootx.   debian has done
all they can to make it possible to install without an existing OS
(the miboot floppies).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/