Re: USB mouse

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 04:03:19PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wanted to say the following:
> Hadess wrote:
>
> > > I'm using 2.2.15 (yes, I know about the vulnerability ;), and I can
> > > successfully load the usb-ohci, mouse and usbcore modules. But neither
> > > gpm nor XFree86 work with /dev/usbmouse, protocol IMPS/2 (also tried mman
> > > in gpm, no dice).
> >
> > Here are a few things you can try:
> > - use hid module instead of mouse module
>
> Will try that.
>

> > - try "cat /dev/usbmouse" and move the mouse, see if any output
>
> I redirected that to a file which was about 2 megs after a few seconds...
> 'file' said it was ASCII text, and the first few pages in 'more' were empty.
>
> Does that imply anything?

You should probably do

	cat < /dev/usbmouse

it should print nice garbage stream to the terminal when you move the mouse,
and it should stop if you dont move it. Example here (dont we all just love
screenshots 8)

ÿüý

8üþ8ûþ8øý8ôü8ôú8õù8óù8ùü8÷ù8ýú8ýú(û(û8þü8þÿÿþþý8üÿ8øþ8öý8õþ8ùý8óú8øú8÷ù8úù8ûû8þúÿ8ÿÿûúùûúúùù÷ø8ûÿ8úÿü8üÿ8üÿ8ýþ8þÿ8ýþþ8ÿÿ(ÿ(ÿ(ÿÿ(ÿ(ÿ8ÿÿÿ(ÿ8þÿ(ÿ8ÿþ(þ8ÿý8ÿý8ÿþ8ÿû8ÿû(ü(ü(ý(ü(ü(ý(þ(û(ü(ý(
ÿÿþýþýþÿÿ(ÿ(ÿ

It will mess up your terminal if you do it for a long time, typing "reset"
helps if your characters get garbled.

> > - install a newer kernel like Ben's 2.2.17-preX, and read the changes at
> > http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html and try to apply them
>
> I'll do that sooner or later - are there any know problems left with those
> kernels?

They seem to work fine. The nearly-latest one even made my powerbook
(firewire, "pismo") into sleep when I closed the lid.. Much rejoicing for
that until I noticed it didnt yet know how to wake up.. Oh well :)

> I also doubt it because Tuomas recommended the mouse specifically for Pismos.

Yea the mini logitech works great. The think to do is the input device stuff
in Ben's kernel page and either compile your own or use his precompiled test
kernels. They work fine. The url is http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/ (just
for convenience here :)

> What protocol do you use? gpm and X 4 settings?

I use imps2 protocol from the /dev/usbmouse which is a link to
/dev/input/mice

I am using Xpmac, but I had that setting once for the framebuffer X and it
worked, even the wheel works if you set the ZAxisMapping 4 5. I think here
exists a mouse-wheel howto (www.linux.com/howto is nifty, you can search the
howtos for words and stuff)

Hope you get everything working ;)

Tuomas