Re: USB mouse

Quoting Michel Dänzer <daenzer@relog.ch>:

> Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
<snip>

> Indeed, thanks for the tip!
>
> But I wonder if some kind of magic is needed to get it working?
>
> I'm using 2.2.15 (yes, I know about the vulnerability ;), and I can
> successfully load the usb-ohci, mouse and usbcore modules. But neither
> gpm nor
> XFree86 work with /dev/usbmouse, protocol IMPS/2 (also tried mman in
> gpm, no
> dice).

Here are a few things you can try:
- use hid module instead of mouse module
- try "cat /dev/usbmouse" and move the mouse, see if any output
- see if gpm is really using the /dev/usbmouse or, if not, if /dev/mouse is a
link to /dev/usbmouse
- do all your tests as root, you'll avoid any problem that would be related to
permissions
- install a newer kernel like Ben's 2.2.17-preX, and read the changes at
http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html and try to apply them
- when installed the new kernel, mount /proc/bus/usb and cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices to see if the mouse is recognized by the usb stack and the
ohci driver.
- take a look at http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ to see if there is any problem
reported with this very kind of mouse (although I doubt it, I've got 2 Logitech
mouses, a Wingman Gaming Mouse and a Pilot Wheel Mouse working fine on my iMac)

Hope this helps

/Hadess
http://hadess.net