Re: XF4 on Mach64 and 2.2 kernel?

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > I wouldn't bother about it.
> > >
> > > If you want to try the ati driver, copying the fbdev Device Section and
> > > adding Option "UseFBDev" may work. Good luck :)
> >
> > Hmm, given your warning, maybe I'll stick to fbdev for now.  It's fast
> > enough for everything- except hashing the screen during a GNOME logout,
> > but I don't do that too often. :-)
>
> Not sure if here is the right place for this, but i noticed that supplying
> the clipping pseudo accel will improve this a lot. Is there any chance that
> this accel could be supported by the fbdev driver ?
> It would need support from the fbdev, isn't it ?

I'm not convinced at all. For now, fbdev doesn't use XAA at all, so I can't
imagine how just enabling it for nothing (?) could help any. However, this is
one of the rare cases where I'd really like you to go ahead and prove me
wrong. :)

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> > > And the ati driver locks hard with 2.2.15, but I was warned.  (Can't use
> > > 2.4 full-time until the ipmasq package supports it.)
> >
> > It doesn't? Why not?
>
> Differences between ipchains and netfilter.  From
> /usr/share/doc/ipmasq/ipmasq.txt.gz:
>
>      3.6 is tenatively slated to add support for the netfilter kernel
>      interface found in later 2.3 and 2.4 kernels.  For more information
>      about netfilter, please see http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/.

And it doesn't work with the ipchains compatibility interface of 2.4 kernels?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project