Re: XF4 on Mach64 and 2.2 kernel?

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 04:29:24PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Hmm, given your warning, maybe I'll stick to fbdev for now.  It's fast
> > > enough for everything- except hashing the screen during a GNOME logout,
> > > but I don't do that too often. :-)
> >
> > Not sure if here is the right place for this, but i noticed that supplying
> > the clipping pseudo accel will improve this a lot. Is there any chance that
> > this accel could be supported by the fbdev driver ?
> > It would need support from the fbdev, isn't it ?
>
> I'm not convinced at all. For now, fbdev doesn't use XAA at all, so I can't
> imagine how just enabling it for nothing (?) could help any. However, this is
> one of the rare cases where I'd really like you to go ahead and prove me
> wrong. :)

Did you see the other mail talking about the gnome logout being slow when
shadowfb was activated, are you able to confirm this ? if yes, then it is a
problem with shadowfb. Now i remember that when i tried the just clipping
accel driver, i had to use accel, which disables shadowfb. Maybe this was the
source of the problem.

MMM,

I don't know shadowfb enough to know how it works, but i guess you write to
the shadowfb, which in turn get copied to the true screen every now and then.

I guess what happens is that the gnome logout screen does some very small
writing to the shadowfb, and it has to be copied (all of the shadow buffer ?)
to the screen after each line draw or so.

Am i wrong in this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther