XF4 on Mach64 and 2.2 kernel?

Hello,

I just took the plunge and upgraded to XF4 this morning, on my StarMax
3000 with Mach64 VT.  I tried xf86cfg, which ended in signal 11.  (Then
I tried XFree86 -configure, with predictably the same result.)

Then I tried startx using XF86Config.new, but got the message that it
needed a Driver line in the Device section.  So I copied the line
``Driver "fbdev"'' from the Screen section to the Device section.

This time it blanked the screen and locked the machine hard.  Oops.  And
my default runlevel is 5, so of course it blanked and locked hard again
when gdm started at the end of the reboot.  Double oops. :-)

(I got out of it by booting with init=/bin/bash and reset the runlevel
to 2, so that's not a problem any more.)

There are a few things I could try (a 2.4 kernel, a few XF86Config
tweaks, etc.), but wanted to know if Mach64 is known to work at all with
the 4.0.1-8 packages, or if trying would be an exercise in frustration
(and multiple 40-minute fscks, possible data corruption, etc).  The
archive gives conflicting reports: I remember reading a message about
Mach64 trouble a month or two ago, then Olaf's 11/19 message said
Mach64/128 are fine with X4...

Thanks,

-Adam P.