Re: XF4 on Mach64 and 2.2 kernel?

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Adam C Powell IV wrote:
>
> > Then I tried startx using XF86Config.new, but got the message that it
> > needed a Driver line in the Device section.  So I copied the line
> > ``Driver "fbdev"'' from the Screen section to the Device section.
> >
> > This time it blanked the screen and locked the machine hard.  Oops.
>
> You need to add a bus ID to the device section, e.g.
>
>     BusID "PCI:0:16:0"

YES!!  This worked with the fbdev driver.  Now it's beautiful- well, some things
are slow and E doesn't work ("the server doesn't have the Shape extension"), but
it's really quite nice otherwise.  Much better than the switch from Xpmac to Xfb
anyway... :-)

I'll look into the signal 11 in xf86cfg.  And it fails with 2.2.18pre21 for two
reasons: the fb doesn't give it a default mode (so I need to set it), and I
haven't figured out how to cenfigure it for the new input layer stuff (gpm fails
too).  And the ati driver locks hard with 2.2.15, but I was warned.  (Can't use
2.4 full-time until the ipmasq package supports it.)

> > (I got out of it by booting with init=/bin/bash and reset the runlevel
> > to 2, so that's not a problem any more.)
>
> I'd have booted with single to go into runlevel S.

Right, forgot that option and remembered init=/bin/bash from alpha days. :-)

Thanks much for the tip!

-Adam P.