Re: XFree864.01, G4, Ati Rage Pro 128 & Apple Studio 17"

jon ewing wrote:

> Even so, using aty128fb I should (assuming I find the right timings and
> add them to my fb.modes) be able to fbset to a 1600x1200 mode, right?

> I also changed back to using aty128fb, changed the cmode down to 16,

BTW, anything other than cmode 8 is a waste of video RAM and speed as the
console only has 16 colors anyway.

> rebooted and tried fbset-ing to different modes - no difference.
> Interestingly (maybe?) I can't fbset to lower resolution modes either - it
> seems that if I use aty128fb I can only use 1280x1024;

This is weird. Do you give aty128fb any information about your monitor? Or
can't the aty128fb in 2.2 kernels really change resolutions?

> if i use the OFfb I can get a 1600x1200 console but still need to run X in
> 1280x1024.

offb does nothing more than preserve the video timings from MacOS or OF.

> I wonder if its the monitor that's causing the problem? According to the
> specs at the Apple site:
> http://www.apple.com/displays/asd17/specs.html
> The HSync can only operate at 80 kHz.

This may be a problem. None of the modes you tried had exactly 80 kHz, though
one of them was close (81.2 kHz).

> If I change my XF86Config to reflect this then *all* the 1600x1200 modes get
> deleted with HSync out of range.

Probably because none of them are exactly 80 kHz. Try specifying a small range

> Yet OS9 / OSX can both operate at that resolution. I've searched for
> XF86Config files designed for this monitor, eg
> http://www.linuxppc.org/blueg3/archive/files/XF86Config-AppleStudio
> but using this config and starting X causes my mac to emit one long beep,
> go blank and lock up. Rebooting and looking at the /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> tells me that the last thing X did before dieing was:
> (II) FBDev(0): Checking Modes against framebuffer device...

This is the fbdev driver. Have you specified the correct BusID?

What about using the mode(s) defined in that XF86Config with the r128 driver?

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project