Re: XFree864.01, G4, Ati Rage Pro 128 & Apple Studio 17"

At 21/11/2000, 15:17, Olaf Hering wrote:

On Tue, Nov 21, jon ewing wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just wondered if anyone has got XFree86 4.01 running at 1600x1200 on a G4
> with an ATI Rage Pro 128 (the card it was supplied with) and an Apple
> Studio 17" monitor?
>
> If so, how? :-)

I didn't try it. But it should work with the correct modeline. Try that
template:
ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ppc/X/suse64/examples/XF86Config.g4

Gruss Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for the link. However, that XF86Config's Monitor section is for an Iiyama Vision Master. I've only just started using X, and was under the impression that modelines are monitor specific, not graphics card specific. Is that right? I tried them anyway, and they didn't work - a mangled image would flash up, then the screen would go black.

I can get a 1600x1200 console when I first boot my G4 - after starting X I'm no longer able to get back to the console and the only solution is to switch the power off at the mains. I guess thats not normal, right?

thanks,

jon.