Re: Powerbook G3 (Tokyo)

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 10:36:45AM +0000, Sergio Brandano wrote:

> Ethan Benson wrote

> >where <part> is the partition number yaboot is on.
> >
> >when you setup your linux system make sure you create the first
> >partition on the disk a bootstrap partition type Apple_Bootstrap, then
> >you can use ybin to set it up.
>
>  This is what refrained me so far. Where and how I am supposed to
>  create this partition? I have linux and macos already installed, and
>  I see no way of creating the yaboot partition without messing up the
>  whole thing. Any advise?

if you have already partitioned and there is no free space at the
start of the disk then your screwed, the only option left to you is to
keep yaboot on the macos partition and fsck with OF settings.

if your macos partition is HFS then use the following /etc/ybin.conf
(assumes ybin version 0.11)

boot=/dev/hda?  ## your macos partition
bless=no ## don't screw up macos booting
hide=yes
protect=yes
hfstype=boot ## default is tbxi which might screw up macos booting

(delete these comments, im not certain ybin will ignore them inline
that way)

and do *NOT* run mkofboot, it erases the partition and creates an
empty HFS filesystem first, ybin does not.  this will copy
/boot/yaboot /boot/ofboot.b (which you need to create the boot menu,
adjust and use the menu_ofboot.b file included with ybin) and
/etc/yaboot.conf to the root level of your macos partition, it then
sets them invisible and readonly to avoid them getting screwed with by
annoying macos users.  bless=no prevents ybin from blessing the root
directory of your macos partition, thus making macos unbootable.

once you do that go into OF and run:

setenv boot-device hd:<part>,ofboot.b

where <part> is the partition number of your macos partition.

then throw away your macos startup disk control panel as it will undo
these changes if you use it.

that should(TM) work.

--
Ethan Benson