Re: Powerbook G3 (Tokyo)

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 07:56:07PM -0600, Matt Knopp wrote:

> I recently got one of the new powerbook G3's "Tokyo" (Basically a lombard,
> but with firewire in place of scsi).   Basically the problem I am having
> is that the kernel (a) loses the interrupt for hda, after a while the ram
> disk will load and then (b) the keyboard seems to not work.

lost interupt for the hard disk sounds makes me think you are using
bootx to boot, don't do that.  bootx does not work very well on most
of the newer `newworld' machines, instead use yaboot.

> The laptop is explicitly unsupported by both YDL and LinuxPPC at this point,
> I was curious if anyone has had any luck getting it to work themselves.

then it very well may be a kernel support problem, BenH is doing a
tremendous ammount of work getting the kernel working on all the newer
apple hardware, if you have not tried his latest kernel that would be
the best route to start with.

I can't remember off hand the address for his rsync archive, but he
usually posts a updated binary kernel on his test page at

http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

for some information on yaboot and how to install it see my page under
`ybin'

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/