Old base tarballs

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 04:03:39PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > The postinst should create the symlink.  If it doesn't, you may  have a
> > broken /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives directory, courtesy of one of
> > Hartmut's broken base tarballs.
>
> that should be it, since i have one of the first base tarball from hartmut. I
> think i will have to reinstall everything anew, so i will fix all the stuff,
> and also the stuff in /dev, because i forgot to add the p flag to tar ...

Sven, is the tarball in sunsite's contrib such an old tarball? I have used
that one to start my Debian install. Also, I forgot to use the p flag to untar
it (Actually I didn't even know about it).

What's wrong with my system now and is there any way to fix it without
reinstalling from scratch? That would save me a lot of time, apart from that I
would probably have to redownload a lot of stuff.

Greetings

Michel

--
Why drink & drive when you can smoke and fly?
Michel Daenzer			          ///	        mdaenzer@earthling.net