Re: xterm failed, 2.1 dependencies

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 06:07:14PM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> > Hartmut, do you still need a linux/apus .config ? there is one in the .lzh
> > kernels at sunsite.auc.dk/local/os/linux/apus/kernels. But i think linux/apus
> > don't work yet with an unpatched linuxppc kernel.
>
> It is not that i need *one* .config file, i need *the* debian .config file.
> I can get the .config from the kernel-source/arch/... but if i add all the
> rest for modules or into the kernel and it breaks something is very bad.
>
> I'm against for an 'one-for-all-kernel-image'. Each subarch should have his
> own image, with his own modules. Only the really nescessary parts goes into
> the kernel, all the rest (isdn, ax25, ipv6, ...) as modules.
>
> So what i need to know is, what can be compiled for modules. One (bad) example
> is floppy.o, it cannot compiled as a module for chrp (compiler error).
>
> I append my chrp .config file  (sorry for the lenght). If you have the *one* :-)
> for APUS or another one for prep or mbx, please send it directly to me.

another question is :

right now linux/apus use a bootstrap procedure to launch linux from the amigaOS
side, something similar of what BootX is doing i guess, so it makes not much
sense to have a debian kernel package.

but it should be possible to mount /boot as an amiga partition, and put things
there, including perhaps some other files needed to launch linux, like the
bootstrapper, and some configuration file. Is this possible, what should go
into /boot. perhaps a /boot/amiga subdirectory or something such would be nicer
even. i guess we will need an linux->amigaos crosscompiler environmentfor this
to agree with putting the bootstrap program into a .deb package.

What do you think of this, it is a nice idea, or an horrible hack ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER