Re: Want some help? ("Will hack for CDs")

At 02:54 -0700 1998-09-07, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
>I hope we need only three images:
>
>  one   for  CHRP, PMac and PReP

It might be possible to do a kernel-image package for all three, but the
boot image cannot be shared between them.

>  one   for MBR

MBX

>From what I can tell, MBX and PReP should be able to share a boot image.

As I said before, we will have to do at least three boot images: CHRP, PMac
and PReP/MBX.
CHRP uses an ELF executable with an embedded initrd image, PMac uses a COFF
executable with an embedded initrd image, and PReP also uses a COFF
executable, but its firmware apparently imposes different requirements on
the image. MBX appears to use the same image as PReP does. (this is based
on either direct knowledge, or guessed based on Linux kernel Makefiles)

Another thing I've said is that a built kernel source tree will be
necessary in order to build "boot floppies", this is a good thing, as the
kernel makefiles make our job easy (it becomes a simple matter of copying a
gzipped ext2 filesystem image to where the kernel makefiles want it, and a
quick make incantation, and we have a rescue "floppy").
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>        <URL:http://web.espy.org/>