Re: Want some help? ("Will hack for CDs")

Jesper Skov wrote:
> Martin> Come to Oldenburg and this is possible.  There will be quite
> Martin> some people with burners around and a debian mirror is good
> Martin> reachable - if the power is not turned off.  Even then I can
> Martin> write you two cd's.
>
> Hey! This is what I hoped for all along... Except I probably will not
> come to Oldenburg :(

What a pity.

> Martin> Right now it doesn't make much sense selling ppc cds.  The
> Martin> system doesn't yet boot off off a cd nor do we have a powerpc
> Martin> boot disk set.  This is one of the things we should consider
> Martin> for Oldenburg.  It would be helpful if you could try to work
> Martin> something out so we would have a start.
>
> I thought someone was already working on boot floppies (I think I saw
> a few postings in the archive about this).

I know that Espy is working on it.  But when three ppc hackers are
around 5 computers there is a fair chance to get it working faster
than by the work of one single person.

> I was hoping for pointers to someone who has the technology (CD
> burner) and a mirror of the PPC stuff. Any Debian distributor who
> knows more about Debian than "it's those premade images I can
> download, burn and sell". Preferably one I could pay with plastic -
> which rules out the U.K. distributors :(

For commercial vendors there is no market for exprimental Debian
PowerPC stuff.  I'm nagged by a vendor in .de for about half a year.
But without boot floppies and stable glibc this doesn't make sense.
Now that the libc is stable we need the boot floppies. :-)

Regards,

	Joey

--
There are lies, statistics and benchmarks.