Re: Original sources, or not

Hi, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:40:12 +0200, Matthias Urlichs
> <smurf@smurf.noris.de> said:
>
> 	Uhh, if you can't create the identical file, how can you get
>  one with the same md5sum?  Have you cracked md5sum? What am I
>  missing?

(A) run md5sum across all files in an archive, sort that, and md5sum
the result.

(B) tar+gz an archive and md5sum that.

sum_A only counts the actual file contents and therefore is something an
integrity check may rely on; sum_B is affected by metadata (file
modification times, permissions, owners, etc.) and thus unlikely to be
reproducible.

Thus, if we ever decide to run an integrity check which covers the
original source archive(s), sum_A or something like it would make sense.

>> - a note in the copyright(?) file explaining what has been done
>
> 	We can recommend doing this one.

OK, I'll write up a proposal.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de