Re: Original sources, or not

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:01:25 -0500
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> 	Pristine sources are already a desired, but not required,
>  characteristic. There are enough brain dead upstream packaging
>  practices that we can not mandate pristine sources.

Dont go blaming "upstream" for debians problems, lots of other distro's
ship pristine sources, thats a poor excuse.

As far as i know, the problem is that our packaging tools cant handle
the common tar.bz2 format, or having seperate patches.

There was talk of a python based dpkg-source2 that had the features to
make this possible,

> 	This would be an undue burden on a number of packages.  Have
>  you done a survey to see how many packages would be affected?  What
>  purpose would be served by this target that is not already served by
>  recording the upstream source location in the copyright file?  If we
>  do not ship pristine sources, it is unlikely that we would be able
>  to generate a cryptographically pristine set by this mechanism
>  anyway.

The purpose it would serve is greater transparency, which promotes trust.

Glenn