Re: Modernising menu manual icons requirement

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:47:15PM -0400, David B Harris wrote:

> 32x32 is *huge* in a menu, and 48x48 is insane. At least for common use
> today :)

I agree -- icons in the menu should be about the same size as the
text, or maybe a little larger.  It's a menu, not an image-viewing
tool.  :)

> If it's going to be changed, there has to be the basic
> assumption that the Right Thing(tm) will be done, either via dynamic
> resizing on the part of the menu app, or conversion in the menu method
> (the latter will always work). Otherwise, it needs to be left as-is.

Actually, there's another option: just add some new variables, and, as
with title/longtitle, put a function in /etc/menu-methods/menu.h to
choose the best one, which the user can comment out or edit.  That
should satisfy everyone, and the only tricky part is coming up with
the new variable names and documenting them.

As an extra bonus feature, one or more of the new variables (say,
"largeicon") could be used for panels and buttonbars and the like.

Of course, if we take this approach, then I'd like to file a wishlist
against update-menus to support a new built-in function:
firstof($arg1, $arg2...), which would return the first non-empty
argument found.  Then, instead of:

 ifelse($var1, $var1, ifelse($var2, $var2, ifelse($var3, $var3, ...)))

We could just have:

  firstof($var1, $var2, $var3, ...)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single