Re: Modernising menu manual icons requirement

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:30:10PM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:56:35 +0200
> Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> >      2.   The icons may not be larger than 32x32 pixels, although
> >      smaller sizes are ok.
> >
> > To accomodate with current workspace size, we could eventually
> > change size in point 2 to 48x48.
>
> I know at least two dozen people who use 48x48 icons, even though
> they're not in the menu. (They're in a panel or somesuch.)

This document apply onlys to icons in /usr/lib/menu for application menu.
Icons specifically designed for use with an application (window manager,
file manager) can be of any size.

> Instead of adjusting this to "48x48" to match current common practise,
> upping it to 128x128 will give us a bit more leeway.
>
> (I know one person whose icons are 64x64, so even that's not adequate.)

The problem is that some window managers do not rescale icons, so
icon of widely different size make menu pretty ugly. For that reason
I would let 32x32 be the norm with a tolerance up to 48x48.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.