Re: docs, docs, and more docs(names of packages and location of files)

Jochen Voss <jvoss2@web.de> writes:

> > and (c)
> > describe what goes in /usr/share/doc/foo-doc (just changelog and
> > README.Debian pointing to /usr/share/doc/foo?),
> That would be fine with me.  But do we really need to
> regulate this?

I'm not saying "regulate", just make it clear that the only thing in
/usr/share/doc/foo-doc is the stuff which is required to be in there
(the docs actually go in /usr/share/doc/foo -- I mean, that the whole
crux of this proposal right?)

> > I would be willing to secondary the proposal...
> Fine :-)
>
> Regaring a "policy change proposal": wasn't it the way, that policy
> should document current practice?  At the moment there are a lot
> of packages which put their documenation into /usr/share/doc/foo-doc.
> So maybe that should not be policy, but something different (some
> kind of a recommendation)?

We could either consider it a best practices issue and therefore put
it in developers reference, or we could consider it a policy issue.

I'm not really sure which is best.

If you want it changed in the developers-reference, just file a bug on
that package recapping the whole thing we've been discussing here.
If we decide it should be policy, you should follow the process from
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy-process.txt.gz .