Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

>>"Steve" == Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:
 Steve> I wasn't discussing any particular command, and Manoj didn't
 Steve> mention the FHS. I think if we (Debian) said "Early running
 Steve> init scripts can count on the FHS required commands being in
 Steve> /bin:/sbin, and anything else might be in /usr/bin:/usr/sbin",
 Steve> then Branden and I would be satisfied: at least we would know
 Steve> where we stand. Manoj and Anthony have argued (to my
 Steve> understanding) that the current situation of "Early running
 Steve> init scripts can on on whatever the maintainers feel like
 Steve> putting in /bin:/sbin" is acceptable. To me, it seems sloppy.

	Since when have we stopped depending on the competence and
 common sense of our fellow developers, and ossifying into a
 bureaucracy limited by, and drawing its power from, words writ in
 stone? Branden, of all people, is a strange bed fellow for such
 arguments.

	Are we not all agreed that additions to / need be made with a
 great deal of thought and care, and perhaps we can expect our fellow
 developers to exercise a modicum of care?

	manoj
--
 A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that
 balances are correct. Princess Irulan, "Manual of Maud'Dib"