Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

On 16-Jun-02, 12:55 (CDT), Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>   (Superfluous how? just look at the contents of /bin and /sbin to
>   determine whether to command is actually available that early in
>   boot).

It's not superfluous: if it's up to the developer, then they can move a
binary from one to the other with no warning or discussion. If I object,
there's nothing to keep them from saying "tough". I'd like to think that
no developer managing a Essential package would do so, but I don't think
it's impossible, either.

>   to be yet-another-stick-to-beat-recalcitrant-developers-with.

Sigh. The "policy is not a stick" mantra is now being used to justify
not listing something that it makes perfect sense to list: which tools
are guaranteed to be available at what stage in the boot process. I
don't care if that list is set at the current intersection of Essential
and /bin:/sbin, as one can always work around any particular missing
tool (or, if not, then we need to make sure that tool gets moved).

Steve

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net