Re: Package documentation

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Configuration file locations are oftenn changed for Debian.  However the
> manual pages still refer to the upstream locations.  This makes it very
> difficult to find out where to make changes, particularly for new users.

AFAIK what you describe is a bug. manpages and other documentation should be
patched to point to the correct locations, OR the change of locations must
be made clear in README.Debian, IMHO (and also IMHO that's common sense).

> I think that all documentation must reflect the Debian locations of
> configuration and other files, and that manpages and the like should be
> altered as necessary to achieve this.
>
> Comments?

I've seen many manpages in Debian altered to do exactly what you describe.
Actually, I've seen upstream code that automatically does this when properly
configured.

I wonder if anyone ever refused doing such a change?

I have doubts we need to add such to policy...  Maybe mentioning "make sure
you update the location of files in the documentation you are packaging" in
the packaging-guide (if it's not there already, that is) as a remider would
be enough?

  Henrique Holschuh