Re: [PROPOSAL] cron.* scripts should be quiet

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 06:34:33PM +0100, Arthur Korn wrote:
> So what about:
>
>    cron.* scripts should not produce any non-error output in
>    general.  An exception may be made if the intention of the
>    script is to mail a status report to the administrator.
>
> Though I feel that the exeption is to broad. I don't want to be
> mailed status reports like "everything is fine" from dozends of
> machines.

I guess it's a package-by-package call whether the purpose of the
script is to mail a status report or not.  I have the following cron
files installed:

/etc/cron.daily:
0anacron   cracklib   exim        man-db     netkit-inetd   sysklogd
apache     dlocate    find        modutils   ntp            tetex-bin
calendar   dwww       logrotate   netbase    standard

/etc/cron.weekly:
0anacron   cvs     lpr      man2html   popularity-contest   sysklogd
auctex     dhelp   man-db   ntp        rc5des

None of the packages involved need to tell me that everything's OK.
However, were I to have a package like tripwire installed, I might
well want to know that all is in order.

I'm sure the maintainer will get plenty of bug reports if the cron
script is too noisy ;-)

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/