Re: only release packages that have maintainers?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Brian Russo wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 08:57:39PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Yes, well as I've said to tbm, 1) adopting a package just to 'save'
> > > it, without really caring/wanting it just perpetuates old crufty
> >
> > I care about these packages:
> > - they have no open RC bugs
> > - I fix all other bugs I can fix without spending too much time
> > - they have all a Standards-Version <= 3.1
> >   (that means their Standards-Version is higher than the one of 25%
> >    of the packages in Debian!)
>
> eh?

I was refering to the "adopting a package just to 'save' it". This is the
state of the 15 packages I have currently adopted to avoid their removal
(and the last two will follow soon).

> Not all orphaned packages are like this, but there are a fair
> number. I'm not talking about the packages that have been orphaned
> for only a few months.

And I do sometimes make uploads for orphaned packages to fix bugs, upgrade
the Standards-Version and sometimes upload a new upstream version.

> > > packages in Debian, while some of these ancient neglected packages
> > > are just.. neglected, others are genuinely useless I think,
> > > otherwise would someone not have cared, and grabbed it?
> >
> > I remember that "silo" was orphaned for several months before someone
> > adopted it...
>
> I'm not talking about several months, more like 1 year+, there are
> many of these in wnpp.

Since the cleanup Martin made there can't be many that are orphaned for
more than half a year with noone who intends to adopt them.

> > > Which brings me to 2) can we get rid of more of these old crufty
> > > ones? Everyone is so afraid do this, else they'll get flamed for
> > > being evil and removing old packages! indeed the impertinence.
> >
> > How do you decide if something is "old crufty"? I believe that of "Our
> > Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" and that's why I want that
> > there's a good reason when a package gets removed.
>
> If something has been abandoned for a 1 year and a half, you don't
> think it's crufty?

Not automatically.

I'm willing to spend some time on the packages that are orphaned, it
doesn't matter if they are officially maintained by QA or by me. Has
anyone a good reason why it's bad when I take care of these packages
instead of seeing them getting removed? I can't see the benefits when we
get rid of let's say 50 packages.

cu
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.