Re: [PROPOSAL] cron.* scripts should be quiet

Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:43:09AM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> > Probably it should be clearly stated in policy that the cron.*
> > scripts may be quiet if no errors are encountered.
> >
> > Running logcheck can be really amusing sometimes ... ;)
>
> What do people think of this suggestion (s/may/MUST/)?

I dislike it. It's possible some package will exist that is _designed_
to fire off daily status reports by cron. We shouldn't prohibit such
things without reason.

Cron jobs seem to be quieted down very nicely when they accidentially
become too verbose, just by user complaints and bug reports.

--
see shy jo