Re: [PROPOSAL] cron.* scripts should be quiet

* Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> [010220 09:35]:
> So what about:
>
>    cron.* scripts should not produce any non-error output in
>    general.  An exception may be made if the intention of the
>    script is to mail a status report to the administrator.

I like this, though the "should not use stdout" version with the same
semantic change would work just as well with me. :)

> Though I feel that the exeption is to broad. I don't want to be
> mailed status reports like "everything is fine" from dozends of
> machines.

In this case, I would think a wishlist bug against the package in
question, asking for a simple variable/command line switch to tweak the
verbosity in non-error cases would be in order; hmm. Tough call.

--
Earthlink: The #1 provider of unsolicited bulk email to the Internet.