Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On 29-Jan-01, 20:07 (CST), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> >  Anthony> Are you going to go through the distribution and maintain a
> >  Anthony> list of which packages all these tags apply to, and which
> >  Anthony> they don't?
> > 	Heh. Sure. I'll do it once. And your proposal has no way of
> >  ensuring the tags  are either accurate, or are maintained.
>
> You'll do it once, or you'll actually maintain them?
>
> I don't see the point of keeping around non-* tags if no one is going to
> make any effort towards keeping them up to date.

Why do you keep agreeing with Manoj in a way that seems to imply you
disagree? :-)

This is Manoj's point (as I understand it, anyway (and agree with)):

The non- tags won't be maintained in a reasonable way, and there is
no way for Debian (as a whole) to responsibly encourage people to
rely on them, so they are of negative value (because people *will*
rely on them). Adding them to policy will just mislead our users (in
whatever form: mirrors, cd producers, etc.) into thinking we've actually
validated against a given country's laws.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read