Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

Hi,

        [incidentally, your sigs all fail to verify, for some reason]

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 01:05:43AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 Anthony> Actually we're currently making the determination on whether
 Anthony> the software's legal to distribute in two countries: the US
 Anthony> and the Netherlands; it's just that in the latter case the
 Anthony> determination is very easy.

	Quite so. And we need to make this determination for at least
 one country, as a minimum, and given the other variables that have
 determined Masters current location, we must need make
 thedetermination fo two countries.

 Anthony> In truth, other members of the Debian community (using the
 Anthony> term very broadly) are making determinations about whether
 Anthony> software is distributable in dozens of other countries when
 Anthony> they setup mirrors.

	I think the term you are looking for is ``Users''.

 Anthony> This is a complete strawman. No one's said anything about adding 150+
 Anthony> countries. Maybe two or three, or even half a dozen, but not 150+.

	*Sigh*. Really? There are 197 countries in the UN, last time I
 looked. And even though a majority of these countries couldn't tell a
 computer from a telephone booth, that is beginning to change. And
 free operating systems are more likely to find favour there. And
 these countries have a wildly different cultural and legal background
 than the european mindset.

	We don't just make policy for today, or this quarter. We make
 policy with a longer time horizon than most commercial entities. You
 open the gates with a few tags, and I guarantee you that other people
 shall follow.

	ANd, incidentally, if any tags are permitted, I shall insist
 on at least non-india, non-bhutan, non-nepal, non-sri-lanka,
 non-pakistan, and non-myanmar tags (the latter shall probably cover
 half the distrivution). I am sure the chinese folks wowuld like these
 tags too. Why should we continue to have a tendency to lean towards
 providing infrastructure support to the  us/european regions? (I can
 just see the enthusiasm on the linux-india mailing list).

	And then we can also have flamewars about whether the
 non-myanmar should follow the government party line, or the
 whether one should support the revolutionaries (umm, legal, I guess
 thats the governement party line).

	I can easily make some inquiries in the mailing lists for the
 subcontinent and come up with these tags. (BTW, are we going to hold
 people accountable for the veracity of these tags? or can anyone just
 submit anything?)

 >> And somewhere, the fact we assert
 >> something is legal (or illegal) shall land us into hot water for
 >> making and incorrect, or outdated, statement.

 Anthony> You keep asserting this, but you're not giving any evidence
 Anthony> as to why either
 Anthony> (a) this applies at all, or
 Anthony> (b) this becomes significantly more of a risk by adding,
 Anthony>     say, non-UK and non-DE identifiers.

	*Sigh*. There is always a chance of making mistakes. With all
 of us concentrating on one or two countries laws (espescially given
 that slashdot brings any changes in US laws under a microscope), we
 are less likely tomake errors. More countries increase the chances of
 a mistake. Adding *ANY* tag increases the risk.

 Anthony> Personally, I suspect some of us *would* actually like to
 Anthony> make an attempt to document which software is legal in some
 Anthony> other major countries.

	I suppose you can always put up a web page, but I suspect that
 you shall not find that solution amenable

	manoj
--
 VOLUNTEER SUBJECT: A college sophomore who, of his or her own free
 will, is allowed to choose between participating in an experiment or