Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 >> > This is a complete strawman. No one's said anything about adding 150+
 >> > countries. Maybe two or three, or even half a dozen, but not 150+.
 >> ANd, incidentally, if any tags are permitted, I shall insist
 >> on at least non-india, non-bhutan, non-nepal, non-sri-lanka,
 >> non-pakistan, and non-myanmar tags (the latter shall probably cover
 >> half the distrivution).

 Anthony> Personally, I'm developing a bit of a pet peeve against
 Anthony> people who insist that things be done while at the same time
 Anthony> refusing to do them themselves.

	Is this relevant to this discussion? Are you accusing me of
 that practice?

 Anthony> Are you going to go through the distribution and maintain a
 Anthony> list of which packages all these tags apply to, and which
 Anthony> they don't?

	Heh. Sure. I'll do it once. And your proposal has no way of
 ensuring the tags  are either accurate, or are maintained.

 Anthony> If not, you've got no business insisting on their existance.

	Oh, go take a flying leap of the high horse.

 >> I am sure the chinese folks wowuld like these
 >> tags too. Why should we continue to have a tendency to lean towards
 >> providing infrastructure support to the  us/european regions? (I can
 >> just see the enthusiasm on the linux-india mailing list).

 Anthony> Because we have a large number of developers from the US and
 Anthony> European regions, because we have large numbers of users
 Anthony> from the US and European regions, and because all those
 Anthony> countries' laws are similar enough that coping with the
 Anthony> additional non-<...> tags should actually be feasible.

	You shall be provided with the non- tags for the countries I
 mentioned. And I think you are assuming facts not in evidence. I
 think the chinese and japanese debian populations have been very
 active, and have done wonders in internationalization efforts; your
 estimate that only US and european (and presumably au and nz) tags
 are gonna get done is an insult.

 Anthony> ``You can't have non-DE tags because no one would be able to manage
 Anthony>   non-IN!''

 Anthony> And sure, if someone *is* able to reasonably keep track of
 Anthony> which packages are legal in India, well, then there's no
 Anthony> issue with having a non-IN tag.

	Oh, so not there is going to be a a requireent that there
 shall be a team of people conversant with intellectual property law
 behind every such tag who shall keep abreast of changes in the laws?
 Espescally that the internet is driving some rather drastic changes
 in that field?

	Great.
 Anthony> More packages increase the risk of us having bugs in our distribution too.

 Anthony> Personally, I suspect no one's going to be bothered to
 Anthony> maintain the tags for Germany or the UK, let alone anywhere
 Anthony> else, so I suspect this is a non issue. At this point I'm
 Anthony> fairly convinced that there aren't any realistic legal or
 Anthony> technical issues against it though.

	I see. scalability, feasibility, correctness, and
 maintainability are not technical issues we need deal with.

	My objection remains.

	manoj
--
 "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
 Voltaire