Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> * DFSG free programs with crypto can be made and (re)distributed
>   from the US now, as long as you don't consciously export it to
>   one of 7 countries which are on a special blacklist

Of course that raises the question: What can Debian do to prevent export
to one of those 7 contries, and do we really want to do so?

> In light of this I'm proposing to change section 2.1.5 of the
> Debian policy to say:
>
>      Non-free programs with cryptographic program code need to be stored
>      on the "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.
>
>      Programs which use patented algorithms that have a restrictied
>      license also need to be stored on "non-us", since that is location
                                                                 located
>      on a site where it is not allowed to patent algorithms.

"in a country" might be better.

>      A package using a program which is distributed via the non-us
>      server has to be stored on the non-us server as well.

Looks good. I just wonder about the 7 countries thing, or I would second this.

--
see shy jo