Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 13:10:55 -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > * DFSG free programs with crypto can be made and (re)distributed
> >   from the US now, as long as you don't consciously export it to
> >   one of 7 countries which are on a special blacklist
>
> Of course that raises the question: What can Debian do to prevent export
> to one of those 7 contries, and do we really want to do so?

"consciously" is the operative word here. We don't need to actively prevent
export to one of the blacklisted countries, we merely have to refrain from
deliberately exporting to them.

We should be able to do what kernel.org did. Quoting
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/welcome.msg:

:Due to U.S. Exports Regulations, all cryptographic software on this
:site is subject to the following legal notice:
:
:    This site includes publicly available encryption source code
:    which, together with object code resulting from the compiling of
:    publicly available source code, may be exported from the United
:    States under License Exception "TSU" pursuant to 15 C.F.R. Section
:    740.13(e).
:
:This legal notice applies to cryptographic software only.  Please see
:the Buerau of Export Administration (http://www.bxa.doc.gov/) for more
:information about current U.S. regulations.

In my (nowhere near a laywer) reading, this just informs users of the site
about the issues, without restricting their freedom to download code even if
they're in one of the blacklisted countries.

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.