Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

In message <[🔎] 20010110131055.G13308@kitenet.net>, Joey Hess writes:
>Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> * DFSG free programs with crypto can be made and (re)distributed
>>   from the US now, as long as you don't consciously export it to
>>   one of 7 countries which are on a special blacklist
>
>Of course that raises the question: What can Debian do to prevent export
>to one of those 7 contries, and do we really want to do so?

On another list I saw a discussion regarding this (the FSB list archive
http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/0/ thread "Exporting Crypto in
Practice" from december 2000, best factual email is from Jonathan
Shapiro) and the result was that they apply DNS screening (Sun) and put
notices on the site.  So that should be good enough.

Other URLs regarding this:
Mozilla:
  http://www.mozilla.org/crypto-faq.html
Immunix System 7 a security-hardened Linux distro:
  http://immunix.org/
Denied Persons List:
  http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=bxa&docid=f:
dpl.pdf
Green Card:
  http://www.usgreencard.com/forms/of-156.pdf
  (Question: do you seek to engage in terrorist activities? :)

Regards,
Nils.