[PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

I've been reading through the current US export policies in between
lately to see if we still need non-US, or at least in the way we
currently have it (there is lots of info on the crypto policies at
http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/Default.htm).

* DFSG free programs with crypto can be made and (re)distributed
  from the US now, as long as you don't consciously export it to
  one of 7 countries which are on a special blacklist
* due to some restrictions in the policies not all non-DFSG free
  gets the same benefit, so we will still need non-US for non-free
  crypto
* software that uses patented algorithms will also still need to be
  in non-US

In light of this I'm proposing to change section 2.1.5 of the
Debian policy to say:

     Non-free programs with cryptographic program code need to be stored
     on the "non-us" server because of export restrictions of the U.S.

     Programs which use patented algorithms that have a restrictied
     license also need to be stored on "non-us", since that is location
     on a site where it is not allowed to patent algorithms.

     A package using a program which is distributed via the non-us
     server has to be stored on the non-us server as well.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |