Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 12:15:39AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:24:35PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> > Not exactly.  If I upload /bin/ls from my system to a BBS without
> > providing source, I am violating the GPL.  If I start distributing
> > GPL'd .debs without source (whether or not the .debs have a copy of
> > the GPL), I am violating the GPL.

> Different issue.  The GPL appears to claim that you must distribute
> a copy of the license with the binaries, even when you ship the source
> separately.

We do.  It's in the source.

Once again, I bring up the point of offering ftp access to an unpacked
build directory for a GPL'd program.  Someone could download the
binary without downloading the source *or* a copy of the GPL.  I don't
see why tarring up the binary (or "deb"ing it) makes a difference.
There's nothing in the GPL that says "binaries offered _with_ the
source must have a separate copy of the GPL physically attached to the
binary".

We *do* distribute the GPL with the binaries.  It's in the source
tarball.  Either it's illegal to provide the build directory as I
suggest above or we're doing nothing wrong.