Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:13:10AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	I am not sure I agree with this statement.

Debian advertises a freely redistributable system, with no special need
to read copyrights before redistributing all or part of it.

If we now claim that our .debs are not redistributable without first
reading the copyright file, we should post this new claim prominently
(for example, as part of our home page).

[Aside: it's also well documented, how to use our packages on systems
such as slackware -- using cpio and tar.  Do we need to file bugs against
cpio and tar, so that they properly deal with this GPL issue?]

[Further aside: that FSF also has some unfixed problems in this regard
indicate that we don't need to take drastic action -- working support
for this into future releases of debian should be sufficient.  However,
it might be reasonable to stick a copy of COPYING in the same directory
as any debian package with gpled software which doesn't have its own
copy -- that way we're distributing the thing along with the software.]

Thanks,

--
Raul