Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 01:19:10PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:

> Debian advertises a freely redistributable system, with no special need
> to read copyrights before redistributing all or part of it.

Not exactly.  If I upload /bin/ls from my system to a BBS without
providing source, I am violating the GPL.  If I start distributing
GPL'd .debs without source (whether or not the .debs have a copy of
the GPL), I am violating the GPL.

> If we now claim that our .debs are not redistributable without first
> reading the copyright file, we should post this new claim prominently
> (for example, as part of our home page).

Well, perhaps we *should* point out that a *lot* of the software we
provide *cannot* be redistributed *unless* you also provide the
source.  That is, after all, the terms of the GPL, and it clearly
doesn't match what you seem to think.

I still say though that, since we provide the source to our GPL'd
debs, and since the source contains a copy of the GPL, we are not
doing anything wrong.  The last paragraph of section three explicitly
idemnifies us against actions of third parties as long as *we*
passively provide both source and binary for download (which we do).