Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:09:07PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > 	Strawman. Tell me how your argument differes from me
> > >  downloading ftp://ftp.gnu.org/bin/ls and not getting the GPL.
> >
> > One way that it certainly matters is that nobody at GNU advertises
> > individual binaries on ftp.gnu.org in that way for download.
> [snip]
> > This is an important difference.  It's not the whole story, but it's
> > part of it.
>
> Where in the GPL does it make a distinction??

The GPL speaks of what you distribute.  When you put a bunch of pieces
up on a web site, the question of whether you intend to distribute
the pieces or only the combined whole is a question of what your
intention is.  One indication of Debian's intention is that it
advertises individual .debs for download.