Re: New policy draft available at http://master.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/policy/

>>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:

 Ian> Manoj Srivastava writes ("Re: New policy draft available at http://master.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/policy/";):
 >> Umm, no. I would not object to the DPL's delegate(s) having
 >> the power to overide a formal objection, but there should be some
 >> checks and balances.  I was just trying to suggest a process by
 >> wihch one could appeal to the tech ctte:

 Ian> I think that the DPL's delegate should have full authority to do
 Ian> whatever they feel like.

        And I think we have grown too mch for simplistic ideas like
 that to be viable. You don't say that tony blair's delegates
 can do what they feel like, do you?

        I'm sorry, this is no longer Debian of yore. We have 500
 people, and once NM is open, the membership is going to
 climb. We no longer know (an thus perhaps trust implicitly) one
 other.

 Ian> There are already two important checks and balances: firstly, since
 Ian> they are the DPL's delegate the DPL can fire them if they're doing a
 Ian> bad job.

        Hmm. Again, you lean towards a solution concentrating power
 into a few hands. Absolute power corrupts.

 Ian> Secondly, any individual decision can be appealed to the
 Ian> technical committee - whose explict purpose is resolving technical
 Ian> disputes which can't be resolved any other way (ie, in most cases, by
 Ian> argument in an appropriate forum).

        Yeah, right. That last time the Ctte was called to do
 anything, they bumbled around for weeks tryingto figure out how they
 could do anything, and then there was nary a peep out of two of five
 members of the ctte

        Considering you were one of the two member who contributed
 practically nothing to the ctte action, I find it ironic you are
 proposing that the ctte be given such wide ranging powers.

        Frankly, IMHO the ctte should merely be an advisory body for
 the rest of the body; and the decisions really be tasken by other
 mechanisms.

 Ian> (Both of these mechanisms for overriding the policy maintainer(s) are
 Ian> available to the membership via general resolution, too, but I expect
 Ian> that to be unnecessary.)

        And untenable, There have been almost no general resolutions,
 and the process is so cumbersome that I suspect there never
 shall be any.

        manoj

--
 FORTUNE DISCUSSES THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN: #16
 Relationships: First of all, a man does not call a relationship a
 relationship -- he refers to it as "that time when me and Suzie were
 doing it on a semi-regular basis". When a relationship ends, a woman
 will cry and pour her heart out to her girlfriends, and she will
 write a poem titled "All Men Are Idiots".  Then she will get on with
 her life. A man has a little more trouble letting go.  Six months
 after the breakup, at 3:00 a.m. on a Saturday night, he will call and
 say, "I just wanted to let you know you ruined my life, and I'll
 never forgive you, and I hate you, and you're a total floozy.  But I
 want you to know that there's always a chance for us".  This is known
 as the "I Hate You / I Love You" drunken phone call, that 99% if all
 men have made at least once.  There are community colleges that offer
 courses to help men get over this need; alas, these classes rarely
 prove effective.