Re: New policy draft available at http://master.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/policy/

>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

 >> The implication here is that you need someone to do most of
 >> the work, and just keep everyone else in the loop.

 Wichert> I'm not sure if it is most of the work. It will be more though.

        I was not clear. It was not the amount work that was bothering
 me, I was just saying, in a very round about fashion, that the
 presence of the delegated people should not prevent, or preclude, the
 current inclusive process from working. I just expressed that very
 badly.

 >> I still do not think that this person should be able to
 >> override formal objections from more than one developer (in other
 >> words, two or more develoerps formally objecting to the policy lead
 >> should be able to bring the issue before the technical committee).

 Wichert> This seems like you are contradicting yourself: even if
 Wichert> someone is able to override formal objections from the
 Wichert> policy-creating process there is always the technical
 Wichert> committee (which was partially created for this reason).

        Umm, no. I would not object to the DPL's delegate(s) having
 the power to overide a formal objection, but there should be some
 checks and balances.  I was just trying to suggest a process by
 wihch one could appeal to the tech ctte: more than N formal
 objections would do it automatically; less than N formal objections
 the delegates carry the day. N should be a low integer.

        The one advantage of specifying something like this is that
 the amendment in question is put on hold until the tech ctte rules.

         Otherwise, I can envisage an amendment with multiple formal
 objections being incorporated into policy (if the delegates can
 override any number of formal objections) while the process of
 invoking the tech ctte is getting off the ground.

        Or am I getting too paranoid about concentration of power into
 the hands of the delegate(s)?

        manoj
--
 There is a great discovery still to be made in Literature: that of
 paying literary men by the quantity they do NOT write.