Re: priority of x-window-manager

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:04:47PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> You misunderstood "i18n" as just the translation support (and "l10n"
> as the translations).  Translation is just a category of i18n.
> Atsuhito means i18n for the correct character displaying.
>
> Korean (and maybe Japanese) X users often see the Netscape titlebar
> incorrectly displays Korean web page title.  Many of the window
> managers still don't care about this and just draw the raw string with
> XDrawString().  The correct behavior is decoding the received compound
> strings and drawing the decoded ones with XmbDrawString().

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm willing to support such a priority increase now; but first, please come
up with a list of specific things that a window manager needs to do.

We can't just say "add 10 points if the window manager is
internationalized" without telling the possible thick-headed American
package maintainer how to determine whether it is or not.  :)

One item would obviously be:
  + The window manager should use XmbDrawString() instead of XDrawString()
    for non-error/non-diagnostic text output.

Please come up with more, if there are any, and I'd be happy to make a new
policy proposal incorporating your suggestions.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |      I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux               |      confuse me with the facts.