Re: priority of x-window-manager

Hi.

 Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 09:04:47PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:

> > Korean (and maybe Japanese) X users often see the Netscape titlebar
> > incorrectly displays Korean web page title.  Many of the window
> > managers still don't care about this and just draw the raw string with
> > XDrawString().  The correct behavior is decoding the received compound
> > strings and drawing the decoded ones with XmbDrawString().

> I'm willing to support such a priority increase now; but first, please come
> up with a list of specific things that a window manager needs to do.

Thank you Branden, and Changwoo. I am happy to read this.

> We can't just say "add 10 points if the window manager is
> internationalized" without telling the possible thick-headed American
> package maintainer how to determine whether it is or not.  :)

I have thought that users can judge if the specific software
is correctly internationalized or not, and they will file their
report on BTS if they find the wrong priorities. But your concern
may be reasonable.

> One item would obviously be:
>   + The window manager should use XmbDrawString() instead of XDrawString()
>     for non-error/non-diagnostic text output.
>
> Please come up with more, if there are any, and I'd be happy to make a new
> policy proposal incorporating your suggestions.

In fact, the true internationalization may require more than just replacing
XDrawString() with XmbDrawString(), but this is a good indicator as a start
point, I think.

# Anyway, users will file their report on that package if it can not be used.

Just one thing: Error text output could be localized one (libc does have
localized error messages for such as "No such file or directory" or
"File exists". So excluding error output is not good in this case, I think.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>