Re: FHS or FSSTND or NOTHING

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 03:57:47PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Ian Jackson doesn't like it, and he carries a lot of clout around here.
> > (Deservedly so, but I don't really know the reasons for his objections to
> > FHS -- IIRC, he doesn't like all the subdirectories of /var that the FHS
> > includes).
>
> He discovered that he would need to move the dpkg database to another
> location with the FHS. And that is *not* something that you want to do
> unless oyu really really have no other option.

Well, we could concievably follow the FHS in every other respect, though,
right?  From a standards-compliance point-of-view, it's less egregious to
have an extra directory in /var (/var/lib) than to fail to have directories
the FHS says should be there.

Are there any other problems with migrating to the FHS?  For potato X I'm
hoping to infest the X packages with more symlinks into /var (see the X
Strike Force page).

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    cultivation of the ability to unlearn