Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> > Why can't libgtk just have a shlibs file that generates dependancies like:
> >
> > Depends: libgtk1.1 (>= current_version), libgtk1.1 (<< next_upstream_version)
> >
> > All this requires is guessing what next_upstream_version will be. It
> > will cause some unnecessary overly strict dependancies, but it will
> > ensure no packages ever break when you upgrade libgtk1.1.
>
> Nope; no reverse dependency checking in dpkg, remember?
>
> [No, Jason, apt doesn't count, since not everyone uses it.]

Why don't we kick out dpkg and use apt only?
Both should be merged into one WORKING binary or at least the dpkg
should be used only internally and not by the user.

Both provide parts of the same functionality. Each being superior in
some parts. apt-get installs better, dpkg can purge stuff. One program
for one function should be enough.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: For people loving dpkg, that could be an link to apt-get or
otherway around.