Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> We also know why this happens: GNOME is still in alpha-stage.
> Developments happens horribly fast and what works today will very likely
> do something different in the near future. If you take a single snapshot
> though and stick with that you have no problems. For example take GNOME
> 0.30 in slink, which works great for me.

Yep, for me too, except gdialog --gauge.

> Now we look at unstable, where we currently seem to have bits and pieces
> of 0.30, 0.99.x all thrown together. Of course we don't call it unstable
> for nothing. On the other hand the result seems to fall in the category
> of packages which are so unstable they should not be in main (policy,
> section 2.1.3)

Thats something that should be in experimental than. I used unstable
a lot, especially since there weren't any stable m68k and alpha
dists. Its always a horror to update once system, because afterwards
it could be broken and the older bins that worked are gone from the
mirrors for ever.

> I think there are two possible solutions to this problem:
> * fool around with the mess of dependencies and conflicts to prevent
>   things from breaking. (this seems to take so much work it is probably
>   not worth the effort)

Also, people would forget, as one allways does and then its hell again.

> * we tell our users to stop complaining and tell them to stick with
>   stable or accept the mess (no way we'll get away with that)
> * make sure that we only have GNOME (and related) packages in the
>   distribution which work together and put the other packages that break
>   things somewhere else.

And you write the scripts that crosscheck with different archs?
And its not only GNOME. The problem is far more general when it comes
to different archs.

Take X for example. It is not possible to install X on Alpha with the
current stable. The i386 upload had binary-all packages. The old
binary-all packages where removed. On Alpha there are no new binaries
and so the old once are still there. Since the versions are
incompatible you get a version conflict between the binary-alpha stuff
and the binary-all stuff.

Result: You cannot install X.

> Now if I remember things correctly Jim Pick and a group of other people
> were working on something called the Debian Snapshot Project. The name
> suggests that it might be just the way to implement the third solution
> mentioned above.. can someone who knows more about the status of that
> project tell us something more about it?
>
> Wichert.

Sometimes you have to have several versions of a package in
binary-all. Or you have to copy the binary-all package to all archs
that aren't included in the upload requesting the removeal.
That would only affect binary-all, but its completly broken at the
moment.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin