Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Adam Heath wrote:
> Let's face it.  Gnome sucks.  I don't know if I can count how many gnome
> versions we have in slink/potato.

Some really old ones (.30, earlier) and one fairly recent version (.99.x).

> I propose that gnome be removed from slink, until the gnome developers get a
> clue.

It's not the gnome developers at fault. It is alpha software. If you
package it it will be a pain in the ass, unstable, and keep changing. Duh.

> Maybe a distribution removing there pet project will be the clue bat
> they need.  They seem not to care about the rest of the world.

[snip]

> No other library has so many versions.

That is because other libraries are *finished*, and Gnome is in constant
development, perhaps?

> Gnome might be stable, and not have segfaults/crashes.  But having it change
> so often is not good.  Debian needs to pick 1(one, uno) version of gnome, and
> stick with it.  Not these infinitely different versions.

This is what will happen when Gnome reaches 1.0. The Gtk 1.2 and Gnome 1.0
series will maintain binary compatibility. Until then, you are using it at
your own risk. Either don't install the packages until it's stable, or
submit useful bug reports rather than griping. http://bugs.gnome.org (or
via the Debian system.)

FWIW 1.0 is expected RSN.

Havoc