Re: Policy question

** Proposal at the end!

jgoerzen@complete.org (John Goerzen)  wrote on 04.02.99 in <[🔎] 19990204114709.B818@complete.org>:

> On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 02:07:19PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > > "most" isn't good enough here.  I know from past experience :-)
> >
> > Do you mean the local mail server on a Debian system ?  Do we have any
> > MTAs that don't support 8BITMIME ?  You could always just tell people
>
> Yes, but unfortunately the bug report listing the specific one has long
> since expired, but here's the changelog:
>
> elm-me+ (2.4pl25ME+39-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * New upstream release.  Various small bugfixes and Y2K compliance
>     updates.  See the upstream changelog for details.
>   * Updated FTP site in copyright file
>   * No longer uses 8BITMIME or BINARYMIME options.  It seems that some
>     non-sendmail mailers aren't up-to-date enough to handle them, which
>     isn't really Elm's fault, but to be compatible with those mailers,
>     I have turned off the passing of -B8BITMIME or -BBINARYMIME to mailers.
>     Elm now does those conversions internally.  This closes bug
>     #17103.

Actually, this points out a serious misunderstanding:

There is a RFC for ESMTP 8BITMIME. (Incidentally, that one is an option,
and SMTP clients are *required* to cope with its absence, which can easily
be detected.)

Sendmail has (I gather, I've not actually seen it) a command line option -
B8BITMIME. This must have happened recently; actually, I have never seen
any documentation for it. Aside from that, I believe this is a very silly
"solution"[1]; anyway, I don't know of *any* non-sendmail mailer that
implements it.

The two obviously are only very loosely related. Elm was using the latter.
Elm *also* failed to detect when /usr/sbin/sendmail terminated with an
error because of an unknown command line option; instead of saving the
unsendable mail in, say, dead.letter, it just threw it away. I was bitten
repeatedly by that bug. From looking at the changelog, it seems that this
serious bug WAS NOT fixed.

As for BINARYMIME, I consider using that at this time a bug. While a
growing number of MTAs supports the 8BITMIME ESMTP extension, so you have
at least a chance of it working, I have not yet seen any support
BINARYMIME. Still, I won't recommend using 8BITMIME, and I consider
defaulting to it a serious bug. At the very least, it should be
configurable, preferrably per-recipient and per-message.

Furthermore, BINARYMIME (RFC 1830) is "experimental". 8BITMIME (RFC 1652)
is "draft standard".

I consider the previous state of Elm seriously broken by design. I'm not
so sure about the current state, either.

> > not to run such a braindead MTA.

s/braindead MTA/braindead MUA/.

> I think it does a disservice to people if Debian's default mail reader does
> not work with Debian's mail servers.

Indeed.

[1] IMHO, the correct solution is for the MTA to check if A. the message
calls for Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit, binary, or other, and B. if any
char in the 0x80-0xff range is present in the message. Then